Thursday, June 11, 2009

Our Future Looks Poor


In my future I plan on going to collage. I want to earn a post secondary degree and so do many of my other friends. So naturally we are all excited about our upcoming last year of high school. Then we are off to live in a little cube with a single bed and more then likely a roommate we don’t like. Hold on a second and I am paying $10,341 for just a room and a meal plan, and the worst part is that’s just for one year. Now just think of all the other things I need to buy. I need a laptop, and other equipment for my program, other accessories for my dorm, and then all your school supplies. That’s easily another $3,000 or more just on that. Now we have not even talked about my tuition yet. Tuition is around $2,000 per semester depending on the University, Collage is about the same for a full time student. Then there are book costs which around $200 per textbook and who knows how many of those you will need throughout your education. Of course you will spend money on your own personal things as well. I forgot to mention that the government pays for half of your schooling if you are Canadian. I can’t imagine being a foreign student.


Now can somebody please tell me how we high school graduates are supposed to afford all this with out going majorly in debt? It is almost impossible to avoid. Unless you work all throughout high school, and post secondary school; it’s pretty impossible. This is where the loans come in, but wait not everyone can get a student loan (OSAP). If you or your parents make a certain amount of money you are not eligible. You can see how this financial crisis for students can make a major financial impact on their lives. For a four-year program in University it costs around $80,000 in total. Makes you wonder where all the money goes that they make off students. This is unbelievable, something majorly needs to be done here, or pretty soon everyone will be going into trades because they can’t afford all of this. So unless you are wealthy, you have a lot to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment